Foster homes are the single most important part of our rescue and are the difference between life and death for many of our Bostons. Foster homes are critical to our rescue efforts. Oftentimes, the foster parent is the first expression of love that Boston has received. We do not have a facility and the Bostons must have a safe place to stay until they are adopted. Hence, we are a foster-based organization. Many of these dogs have been abused, neglected, and discarded. They need a place to recover from emotional trauma and medical issues, and to feel safe and loved. If you have always wanted a Boston, but were not sure you could commit to a Boston for the long term, fostering is a great way to enjoy a Boston with only a short-term commitment. SCBTR pays for all approved medical expenses for our foster Bostons. We ask that our foster homes care for the Boston and help us make the Boston a well-adjusted family pet, as well as help us decide which adopter is the right one for their Boston. We also encourage “foster failures.” We always hope that foster parents who adopt will also continue to foster other homeless Bostons to help us meet the demand of incoming rescue Bostons. We value our foster homes and work with them regularly to ensure the Boston is doing well and that the foster homes are well supported.
Below are basic requirements of a foster parent. This list is not all inclusive.
- Provide lots of love, kind and gentle treatment, and basic care.
- Provide a safe indoor environment.
- Provide quality food and treats.
- Schedule and transport the SCBTR foster to vet appointments that are pre-approved by SCBTR. SCBTR will cover all approved vet expenses.
- Administer medications in accordance with vet care instructions.
- Provide an initial assessment and regular assessments of the SCBTR foster to your foster coordinator as long as the Boston is in your home.
- Must submit a photo to the foster coordinator immediately upon receiving the foster Boston, and submit a bio within one week thereafter.
- Transport the SCBTR foster to rescue events to help promote adoption.
If you are approved to foster a Boston through SCBTR, we will place your name on a waiting list. When we have a Boston come into SCBTR which needs a foster home, we will contact you. We will place the Boston in the best available foster home, based on what we know about the incoming dog. We always strive to place the Boston in a home that is a good match. We expect you to love, care, socialize, and provide for the Boston until he/she is adopted by a “forever home”.
We will notify you of any approved potential adopting family. We will seek your input as to which prospective adopting family will be the right one for your foster Boston. If the approved adopter is a good match for the Boston, they will work with the SCBTR staff to complete and sign an adoption agreement and pay the stated adoption fee. The foster will then work with the new adopter to arrange a convenient time and place for the new family to meet their new furbaby and to leave with them to start their new life in their “forever home”. You will need to send all of the Bostons belongings with them to their new forever home.
If at any time there is a problem with the Boston or circumstances change that you can’t foster the Boston, we will relocate the Boston to another foster home.